The Rockdale Municipal Development District
The Rockdale Municipal Development District (MDD) was created by voters in May, 2010 and began levying a 1/2 percent sales tax starting October 1, 2010 on all items in the district that are subject to the general sales tax. The MDD jurisdiction includes the City of Rockdale and its extra-territorial jurisdiction (that area that extends outward from the city limits to one mile).
It is the mission of the MDD to aid the City of Rockdale and interested private or public entities in making the community a better place to live, work and do business. In so doing, the MDD may help develop and finance any permissible project as defined in Chapter 377 of the Texas Local Government Code and that benefits, strengthens and diversifies the economic base of Rockdale.
Applying for funding from the Municipal Development District
The MDD may assist in the funding of new or expanded businesses or industries in compliance with Chapter 377 of the Texas Local Government Code. Funding assistance for a project may include the following:
- Land, buildings, equipment, facilities, expenditures, targeted infrastructure or improvements for the creation or retention of primary jobs, manufacturing or industrial facilities, research and development facilities, transportation facilities, sewage or solid waste disposal facilities, recycling facilities, air or water pollution facilities, facilities for furnishing water to the public, distribution centers, small warehouse facilities serving as distribution centers, primary job training facilities, regional or national corporate headquarter facilities;
- Job training required or suitable for the promotion of development and expansion of businesses;
- Infrastructure required or suitable for promotion or development of new or expanded businesses;
- Land, buildings, equipment, or facilities improvements to promote or develop new or expanded businesses that create or retain primary jobs.
To apply for funding contact Kara Clore, MDD Executive Director at 512-446-2111, PO Box 1196, Rockdale, Texas 76567 or email info@rockdale mdd.org.
The Rockdale MDD Regular Meeting is held on the fourth Monday of each month at 134 N. Main St., Rockdale, TX 76567.
The Rockdale MDD Board of Directors recognizes the Texas Open Meetings Act and welcomes public attendance.
Requests for Information
The Texas Public Information Act provides that most documents of a public entity, such as the Rockdale MDD, are open to public inspection and must be made available to the public. Under the Public Information Act, requests for information must be made in writing to the public information officer of the MDD:
- Requestors may ask that the information be provided in paper copy of the document or
- electronic copy of the document;
- The Public Information Act does not require MDD officials to conduct research for a requestor; the Public Information Act applies only to documents that the MDD currently has in its possession;
- Requests for information may be made by delivering the request in person, mailing the request or emailing the request;
- All requests for public information must be made to the MDD Executive Director;
- The MDD will respond promptly to the request although some requests may take several days before a response can be provided;
- A fee for responding to the request may apply; if so, the requestor will be notified of the cost
- of the fee before MDD officials proceed with providing the information.